The day the kids have been waiting for finally came. We purchased a dozen chicks and the seller threw in one extra to make a baker's dozen. We're all mesmerized by their cuteness and the silly things that chicks do, which really isn't much. "Oh look how cute that one is, it just pecked the other one in the eye". The antics don't stop there either. They also eat, sleep, and poop. Crazy, crazy stuff!
We didn't buy little chickens either(except they are little now), we just happened to buy a 1/2 dozen of the largest breed of chickens in America, the great Jersey Giant. It seems like when we jump into little adventures like this we always dive in head first. The other 7 are Buff Orpingtons. So if you had to describe the color buff, how exactly would you do that? There are Black, Blue, White, and Buff colored Orpingtons and my issue with the whole thing is this: When I was in kindergarten, we never learned about the color buff. Things get buffed, people get buff, but I guess I've never heard of the color buff. Webster's dictionary does acknowledge buff as a color, but they should be called tan, or brownish yellow, Orpingtons. Next website to visit, Wikipedia.
The Jersey Giants will bless our dinner table on occasion and that's why we got some of those. They're really more like Turkeys when they're full grown so we will now change the tradition of what we eat on Thanksgiving as well. In fact I'm pretty sure the Pilgrims ate chicken not turkey. Again, I need to make some corrections on Wikipedia.
Just to recap our current animal status: We now own a cat, a horse, a goat, and 13 chickens, and soon a dog and another goat, and Adam still wants a pig. On a side note the goat(Coco the Cute One) thinks she is all of those animals wrapped into one. She's like the adolescent mother of the farm. Nobody does anything without her permission. Today, by the way, our neighbor found her a block away wandering in greener pastures. I'm sure someone was shocked to see a goat wandering through their yard, then again probably not. She made it home safe and sound to our utmost relief, however it was just a reminder that she got the best of me.....again, and my inability to contain that four legged creature. Next website to visit, Google: How to hobble a goat.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
The Stork Delivers Poultry
Posted by Ryan and Courtney at 8:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, you are living quite the farm life! That is awesome! I wonder what maggie will think about all the other animals? Well, you have some good food storage with all your animals. I would love to have a pig some day! I would like a miniature one for a pet! They are so cute! I just would perfer to not have to clean up after poopin animals. It's a lot of work to live the farm life!
Farm animals are a lot of work. Just wait til those chickens get big and they decide to attack the kids. Be Careful! Their claws are dangerous. Roosters are horrible in fighting amongst each other and then the way they attack the hens and anyone else that enters their territory.. There's a lot to learn and they are fun when they are little. You will love the eggs. Our renters, Leslie and Brad, are taking care of our chickens in Wenatchee so they can have the fresh eggs. They love it! When dad retires I would love to raise some chickens for Sunday dinner and raise another pig. There's nothing better than your own homegrown fresh meat that fills the freezer. Dad and I were in Wenatchee this last weekend and we checked our cherry crop/blossoms and we lost our crop this year due to the 20 degree weather we had last week. A lot of farmers more than 80% lost their crops including pears and apples. Not a good year weather wise. That's sad. :0(
you are turning in to a hick so no making fun of me RYAN. Poor Courtney she is always a good sport.
Hilarious about the giant chickens. I am excited to check them out next time I visit ya'll in the sticks.
Post a Comment