Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Father's Day Tribute to my Husband

In comment and addition to the next post "A fathers day point of view"... I just wanted to add my point of view too.
I am living my dream life thanks to a great childhood with dreams of one day marrying a tall, dark, handsome man that provides and protects for his family with love and patience, and allows me to stay at home to be "my kids mom".
Dr. Laura gives some great advice in her book "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" that I wanted to share with all the wives reading this post. Men really are simple creatures. It's us women who try to complicate things in our own head. I know I just need to chill out and spend my energy on what really matters. Here's a couple of tidbits that seem like no-brainers but are really important to practice:
* Compliment/make him feel important/your hero
* Clear Communication/don't give hints, just say what you want
* Ask not what your man can do for you, but what you can do for your man.
* Recognize the subtle ways our husbands show us they love us.
* Write loves notes
* Make date night a priority
* Do what you need to do to be healthy, so you're not "tired all the time".
* The 3 A's... Acceptance, Appreciation, Affection
* Stop complaining
* Love him for who he is, don't try to change him.

Now, don't over-whelm yourself. Just pick one for today to practice on. I think I'll choose... Write Love Notes. I'm not a big talker, I'd rather write anyway. So, honey, look for those mushy love notes scattered about. Here's one now...
I love being married to you!!! Thank you for allowing me to live my dream life and supporting me as your wife and our kids mom. I couldn't ask for more. I love you!!!

1 comments:

MaKey and Poppa said...

Courtney, I enjoy reading what you write! You are so good at expressing yourself in your writing! We both have been blessed with great men in our lives who really can visiualize & focus on the eternal perspective values in their lives as well as their wife's life! Love you for loving that son of mine!