Sorry if the picture is too graphic...
So I just got done butchering a couple chickens. I haven't done that in say...oh...24+ years. It's one thing to buy it at the store and cut it up, it's a totally different thing to start from scratch. Let's just say I think I've lost my appetite for a couple of days. I don't know if I should even go into detail about the whole thing, but I may now be a beefatarian for a while:-) There's a wonderful aroma that's now stuck in my nose, it's fantastic! Courtney couldn't watch or even be around it. What's she going to do when I bring a deer home in a couple of weeks? Londyn and Adam stayed and got their hands dirty, they did great. I warned them and gave them the opportunity to back out, but they didn't. At one point, Adam yelled, "there's blood everywhere, this is awesome!!" What am I teaching my children? I can only imagine what they'll tell their teachers at school tomorrow. But we've now got some fresh chicken in the fridge and we're getting fresh eggs almost every day now too. Now if the other roosters are really smart, they'll quit crowing at 4:30am and they'll live long happy lives. Otherwise, I'll have to open Shop again!
5 comments:
Here's a hint that works for your brother-in-law Preston when trapping and disposing of the skunks who try to take up residency under our chicken house! Put mentholatum (sp?) (phonics works for me!) in your nostrils or run a dab under the nose on the upper lip and it helps with the disgusting ordor!!! Then this memory flashes in my mind when dad and I were at our graduation all night party and we got this idea to go home get the row boat and go fishing on Lily Lake at 4am Grandma Pen warned her son to be home early cause it was butchering day at the old chicken coop on the Penny Orchard well, we thought early was like 4pm and after we spent most of the day frying our bodies on the lake in the boat and bringing trout home to fry, but little did we know that we would have to dip those chickens in hot boiling water with parafin wax to help the feathers come out easier which I never participated before in killing chickens & being a city girl and sunburned I had to stay to help since I kept the son your dad out so long that day.....the smell was disgusting, but my reward was to take 120 gizzards, hearts, and livers home to enjoy with my dad. How does that ALL sound hahaha!!! A memory I will never forget and then we had all our children learn how to butcher chickens. Good thing you & Alysa your sister spent time in the basement at the old wash basin chilling the chickens the smell you did not remember and the chickens running around squawking with their heads cut off!!!! Another HAHA!!
That's a disgusting picture Courtney!!! I can't believe you would post that online:-)
Since when did you start posting pictures on our blog anyway??
ever since you taught me how to...
you may have opened a can of worms honey.
Teach a wife to fish...and see what happens?
AAAAh! I don't think I could ever live on a farm. I should send my kids over for an education next time you open shop though--Jason asked me the other day if the chicken we eat is ever made out of dead people. Imagine that photo!
Good picture! A little grotesque sp?! What happened to Adam I thought he was enjoying it all! Doesn't show in the picture!
Post a Comment